Universities exist because of students. We are here to provide opportunities and educate bright and motivated minds. We aim to inspire and encourage scholars who are eager to learn, who seek to explore our planet and society, who crave the discovery of new knowledge, and who want to prepare for successful and rewarding careers and lives.
That is why we are more focused than ever on the student experience at UC San Diego. Through our first-ever Strategic Plan, we set a goal to deliver an educational and overall experience that develops students who are capable of solving problems, leading, and innovating in a diverse and interconnected world.
We are making much progress toward that goal. In the past year, we have:
- Upgraded teaching facilities and instructional technology.
- Added new courses and research experiences in response to emerging fields.
- Streamlined curricular requirements to improve time-to-degree.
- Expanded first-year experience courses.
- Enhanced academic advising.
- Improved campus infrastructure, such as new walkways and bike paths.
- Added campus artworks that reflect the diversity of our community and local artists.
- Increased the number of scholarships for local students from underserved communities.
Successful students lead to successful alumni. Today, we have more than 170,000 Triton graduates who are using their UC San Diego education to improve our world. As UC San Diego’s Chancellor, I am proud of our alumni and students, and of the Strategic Plan goals we’ve set together. We are ensuring that future generations of Tritons will be able to follow in the very large and impressive footsteps of our current alumni, and we are enhancing the value of the UC San Diego degree. Together, we are building a stronger student experience, a stronger sense of community and a stronger university.